The difference here is that you plait 3 strands as compared to the bantu-knots that are two-strand and I also do not use rubber bands to hold my hair.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Hair shampoo (I use an olive oil based shampoo from Organics;ksh. 350)
- Hair conditioner(treatment)(I use Miadi Protein Reconstructor ;ksh.350)
- Hair oil(I use indian hemp:Ksh 350 or coconut hair oil;Ksh 109)
- silk head scarf
Wash hair with preferred shampoo, next apply conditioner or treatment if you like, leave it on for about 15-50 minutes depending on your preference. When you have the hair treatment on, comb with a wide-tooth comb to enable the conditioner penetrate each hair strand. Afterwards, wash out the hair treatment.
- Leave hair to dry a bit, section the hair when It is damp as opposed to dripping wet( twisting the hair at this point, will not produce the desired results especially if you have an early morning, the hair won't dry well overnight.
- Apply preferred solid hair oil on finger tips, then apply it as you make three strand twists
- Ensure that it is not too tight as this may cause hair breakage, plait the hair from the root to the ends.
- Next, coil the plaited hair into tiny buns. My hair is rather tough, when i coil it it remains coiled, however you could use rubber bands to hold them.
- And the final results, sectioned three strand knots, at this point, lightly oil your scalp then cover your hair with a satin scarf and go to bed. A minimum of 4 hours should do.
- On waking up, I undo each knot slowly with my fingers, i do not use pins or combs
- Once I have undone each knot, I separate each knot into twos or threes with my fingers as opposed to using a comb. This is so as to achieve a more curls
The next morning or at least after 4 hours , undo the twists in the opposite direction. To achieve defined curls, do no, at any point use a comb. Use your fingers to comb the curls at each knot.
The success of the three strand knots (matutas) depends on trial and error. This works best with longer hair. The final results however are similar to the bantu-knot out
What do you think? Do let me know here