Thursday 14 November 2013

Miss Vavavum Wild Mane Explained(Curly Afro Tutorial with Pics)

Natural hair: a lot has been said , it's been labelled a movement even a cult but really, beneath all the social media groups, secret terms, the so called revolution, is women embracing their true selves, their God-given curly hair, strong and wild like an untamed forest
I turned natural a year ago, as I have mentioned before, I have a loathing for the plain and ordinary. The same applies to my hair, I have always and still hate, plain-jane hairstyles. Before I loved haircuts, an edgy to outright outrageous weave. See my Hair Story
The journey if you can call it that, has been quite interesting, my hair has grown immensely and I dare I say, It is even stress-free to take care of! It is me, just the way the creator made me, all chocolate and a black head full curly mane! :)



Here is a quick how-to
WHAT YOU NEED:
  • A packet of rubber bands(retail at ksh 45 in Kenya)
  • Hair shampoo (I use an olive oil based shampoo;ksh. 350)
  • Hair conditioner(treatment)(I use Motions Protein Reconstructor ;ksh.350)
  • Hair oil(I use indian hemp:Ksh 350 or coconut hair oil;Ksh 109)
  • silk head scarf

Wash hair with preferred shampoo, next apply conditioner or treatment if you like, leave it on for about 15-50 minutes depending on your preference. When you have the hair treatment on, comb with a wide-tooth comb to enable the conditioner penetrate each hair strand. Afterwards, wash out the hair treatment.

  • Leave hair to dry a bit, section the hair when It is damp as opposed to dripping wet( twisting the hair at this point, will not produce the desired results especially if you have an early morning, the hair won't dry well overnight.
  • Apply preferred solid hair oil on finger tips, then apply it as you make two strand twists 

  1. Ensure that it is not too tight as this may cause hair breakage, twist the hair from the root to the ends.
  2. Next, use small rubber bands to form little buns or knots these are known as the Bantu-knots
  3. And the final results, sectioned Bantu-knots, at this point, lightly oil your scalp then cover your hair with a satin scarf and go to bed. A minimum of 4 hours should do.
  4. On waking up, I undo each knot clockwise as I would undo a screw
  5. Once I have undone each knot, I separate each knot into twos or threes with my fingers as opposed to using a comb. This is so as to achieve a more curls
Below is a hangout I did on my Google+ about how I undo the knots




The result, leaving you looking and feeling confident!

I wash my hair 3 to four times a week. However this can prove tedious for some of you. The knot-outs last for a week sometimes just day especially for most people. In such a case, wet the hair (you can use a spray water bottle that retails for Ksh.50-100 in Nairobi) then apply the steps outlined above.
Do send me an email missvavavum@gmail.com If you have any more queries.
Or alternatively add me on G+ we can hangout (a live video chat) and clarify your queries.
Miss Vavavum
Xx



3 comments:

rshan shasha said...

How long does it last? do i have to redo it like every day?

thanks. i will definitely share this :-D

And please also check out my blog, i also do tutorials. :-)

Miss Vavavum said...

Sometimes It lasts for a week, but those are just those few times i'm lucky :D . But in real sense it lasts for a day, so i re-do it every night :)and Thanks!

ray said...

i love this ill try it out :)
good work